Saturday, June 5, 2010

Home... Away from home

Hello readers! So, that "Symlin feeling" I was feeling turned out to be a stomach virus! The second one I've had in the past three months, which was AWFUL! I ended up leaving work early on Tuesday and calling in on Wednesday (I hate calling in, it always makes me feel guilty even when I am sick). Thursday morning I had to get it together and get up to Huntsville for my mom's surgery.

I remember that in the very early hours of Thursday (around 4 am) I rolled over and told Adam that I felt awful and didn't want to go. In the same breath I said, "but I want to be a mother, and that's all about sacrificing your own wants and needs for the better of someone you love." So up I got, and off I went.

I made it to Huntsville by 7:45am and my aunt was there with my mom. Her surgery started at 8am. She had her saphenous vein harvested on both legs. She had been suffering from terrible varicose veins for years, and had had ulcers on her legs from decreased circulation. Her doctor told her that they had to come out for fear of blood clots, and here we are. The surgery lasted until about 11:45am and we were out of the hospital by 1:15pm. Her doctor wasn't very comfortable with her going home, but since I am a nurse and staying with her until Sunday, he released her home.

So... here I have been since Thursday. It is very different here. Not at all like I remember it when I was growing up. I've done some tasks for my mom and some of her requests have been a little off the wall. She wants me to shampoo her carpets, highlight her hair, and mow her grass. So far, only the mowing has been accomplished... We'll see!

The food here is very different too. I finally was able to eat by Thursday! Since then I've done what feels like nothing but eat! I also have no place to exercise here, which makes me feel awful! My BGs have been alright, good ole AF started, so that keeps my BGs low. Thank goodness for that, because I would be so high if it weren't for that!

I miss home. Not this one, but my own. I'm not sure when the home I grew up in became no longer my home, but I'm there. I miss my husband, my bed, my TV, my backyard, my porch swing, my kitchen, my food, and my bathroom. I miss our neighborhood. I miss home!

But... mother is doing well. The bandages came off today and she is able to get up and roam around pretty well, so Lord willing I will be headed home tomorrow night. I have to get up and go to church in the morning and then help her with those carpets tomorrow and then I will be on my way to see my wonderful, sweet husband.

Just as a side note, we were supposed to be on vacation this week in Savannah, GA. We aren't. At first I was a little bitter about that, but I got over that fast. I really just hate that Adam and I both had so much time off and weren't able to spend it together. I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment