Sunday, June 27, 2010

VACATION !!!

Hey there! Long time... no post! Adam and I have been really busy lately and I've neglected the online community very badly... hope I can be forgiven.

First of all... I got home from my mom's (she is doing well by the way) and then it was right back to work! I have been working about 60 hours/ week at the hospital in preparation for our new online charting go live. I had to take a few extra classes since I was a superuser for the program. We went live with it two weeks ago, and because of my extra training I had to work a few extra shifts to help troubleshoot any problems that arose. There were a few minor glitches, but all is working out.

Last weekend Adam and I were both working 12 hour shifts and on the way to work we passed a billboard advertising for Panama City Beach (saying that the "Gulf Coast is still open for business!"). It hit me so hard I couldn't help but go. I get urges like that... where I just have to get out of town... go on to somewhere nice and relaxing. So I talked Adam into rearranging his schedule... and I rearranged my schedule and we went to Carillon Beach (West of Panama City) this weekend. We left at 8pm Thursday and made it to our condo by 1am on Friday morning.

We had a fantastic time at the beach... eating, drinking, and laying in the sun. We went to The Boatyard for dinner on Friday and then Red Bar for dinner last night. Food was amazing! On Friday night we had this paradiso maki sushi roll (it had salmon, pineapple, creamy dill sauce, asparagus, and fried tempura- it was DELICIOUS), then for dinner I had the Key Lime Garlic Shrimp and Adam had Shrimp and Grits. Altogether it was a wonderful meal. (Complete with 2 Cosmopolitans- yum!) Then Saturday night we went to Red Bar at Grayton, Beach and met up with some friends. Adam got crabcakes, and I got the blackened grouper that came with a fried cheese grit cake! Finished off the food with 2 Mojitos (that were absolutely perfectly mixed- not too sweet) and 1 Mic Ultra. BG after dinner-- 100mg/dl exactly! GO ME! :)

The beach was also nice... I don't know how much of the news spreads to the world outside of the south, but everyone down here is worried SICK about the oil pouring into our beautiful gulf! You hear rumors everyday about this beach or that beach being closed because of black oily water and beaches. And tar balls... everyone talks about "Oh, well, you know... Panama City has all the tar balls washing up!" Well, we were just there and I can tell you the truth... no tar balls, no oil slicks, just sea weed. (As far as our trip was concerned anyway) Our friends that we met for dinner did text me today and said that tar balls were showing up on the beach at Destin. It truly is a tragedy for everyone... makes me so sad!

So anyways... now we are home and I am getting back to reality. No more extravagance or guilty pleasures... back to work, and the gym, and drinking water. Back to trying to lose a few pounds before we have a baby on board. Back to counting all those calories and balancing them carefully. Back to stressing over the blood sugars and worrying what they are going to do to me when I am pregnant. Pretty much just back to life as usual around here. :) But, at least now I can say that I've gotten a vacation... I've had a break and gotten away from it all. I'm glad to be home... and to get back to a routine... and gosh... there were some darn cute kids at the beach... Made us wonder how ours will turn out!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulous time! It's good to get away every once in awhile. Good job on your blood sugars too! While I've been away this past week my sugars have been so up and down (the champagne to celebrate, ice cream as a refreshing treat, and pancakes for breakfast probably don't help!) I hate to use the "oh I'm on vacation" excuse, but unfortunately that's what happens =( Back on board for me on Wednesday when we return home. I've been testing every few hours while on summer break, so I'm hoping my A1C will be a lot better.

    ReplyDelete