Monday, June 28, 2010

OMG... Two days in a row!

So there is a lot I've been meaning to vent about, you know... share with the world all of my deep and personal secrets! ;)

I was denied the CGMS by my insurance. BIG FAT DENIAL! I found out last week... I think on Wednesday. It felt pretty defeating too. I contacted the representative at Medtronic who has been working to get it for me and she said that she had spoken with someone from my insurance who said that they would never approve it. That is wasn't covered under what my insurance believes is necessary medical equipment. I'd like to show them what necessary is! Show them the 30,000 holes I have in my fingers from what seems like a million bg checks. Show them the worry and stress that I feel now over my blood sugars being crazy... I can't imagine what that will be like when I'm carrying a baby around with me all the time! Ugh... I just hate how insurance companies can be so greedy sometimes. I ask if I could still pay for it out of pocket and Kathryn at Medtronic said that I could... Tally up all the costs and it adds up to about $4,500 per year. I talked with Adam about it and he said maybe once I know I am pregnant that we could get it, but that still makes me feel sad about it all.

I'm not sure why either, but my blood sugars have been a lot higher lately. I know I had my perfect bg after dinner at the beach, but my averages have increased by almost 40mg/dl over the last two weeks, which thoroughly depresses me! My 7 day average is currently higher than it was the last time I had my a1c checked (it was 6.3 then). At one point about two weeks ago I had my average down to 98mg/dl for the week and two week and 99 for the month average. Something is awry here! I know I am off birth control now, which could make for some changes, but I am also about to start my period. My endo once mentioned to me that some women experience some insulin resistance in the week before their period, but I've never had that problem when I was on BC. We've been using back up BC, so I know I'm not preggers, but man... If I could just beat myself up over my BGs I would... or wait... I already am.

And one more thing while I'm on my soap box rant.... My mother told me while I was at home that she has a date (my dad died in 2008) with the man who she used to date while my parents were separated when I was 14. Not only is she going to go on a date with this man, but she is meeting him in Birmingham (where I live) to go on this date. She hasn't come to Birmingham to visit us since July 2009. Seriously?!? Ugh... Parents... what can you do, you know?

So... I still haven't heard anything about the Medtronic Revel, so I'm just going to go and sent another email about that one... and as far as CGMS goes, I'm going to try again with my insurance, just for the hell of it, I guess. And hopefully I can reign in these blood sugars again (crossing fingers). And as far as my mom... I want her to be happy, so what can I do?

Ah... anyways!

1 comment:

  1. I am not covered for the CGM either. My hubby and I decided it worth the expense to prepare for pregnancy, and for pregnancy once it hits.
    On the high blood sugars front, I always have higher blood sugars about a week before my period. I have programmed a parttern basal to deal with this now. Took a few month to get it right and sometimes it still needs some twicking. Depends on how hormonal my body is being I guess :)

    ReplyDelete