Thursday, July 22, 2010

I think I can... I think I can... I think I can....

So today was the much anticipated Endocrinology appointment... So, without further ado, I give you an a1c... 6.0%! Come on... be excited!!!

Ok.... so I wasn't excited. I can't help but feel like every time I see my doctor it is like I'm sitting on the stand and the jury is all of my friends and family and of course... my doctor. So... things to celebrate: my blood pressure had been borderline on my last visit and there had been mention of starting BP meds if it was still high. Today is was 121/84! Yay! It was better = no more medicine, THANK YOU! My weight was also a little better. Down to 187 from 194. I'll take it! (Although... I've been working my hinney off at the gym for THAT!?! There is Nothing fair about working out!)

I also feel like to my doctor I am the patient that he dreads seeing... I'm the one that he knows is going to talk and talk and ask questions and give him homework! :o) I am... I freely admit it, but the way I see it, if I have to spend my time with him every 3 months, he can spend his time with me every 3 months.

So the question list:
1- Pump upgrade
2- CGMS appeal
3- Increasing strips
4- Why does my OB want my a1c <6% and should I worry?
5- Is Baptist Shelby really ok?
6- Should I find a UAB OB/GYN
7- How often do I have to get my thyroid checked?

BOOM!

Answers:
1- He will work on getting my pump prescription processed
2- He will write a letter to my insurance to help with processing the cgms, if it still doesn't work (doesn't look promising) I will just pay out of pocket for the transmitter and sensors (an estimated $2,000 of expenses just for the pregnancy).
3- He increased my strips to cover me testing 8x per day. AND he told me I have to decrease checking my blood sugar to 8x per day, as he says anything over that is excessive.
4- He feels like my OB is just more accustomed to working with type 2 and GD and that she doesn't know too much about type 1. He thinks that the perfect a1c is 6.0 - 6.5 as long as there aren't too many lows. He showed me several articles about the risks of severe hypoglycemia with a1c <6 in T1DM. He did say that it would be safe to have an a1c <6 if I had CGMS so that I could watch and prevent lows. I mentioned earlier that I wasn't excited about my a1c of 6.0, but I was really expecting more 5.6 or so. I thought that all the extra finger pricks and work would bring my a1c down. After all- don't all the blogs and forums have tons of T1DMs that have a1c's 5.5 and below? Oh well, I guess for me that won't be what is expected. I don't know if I could even do it... I gave it my best efforts this time and the a1c only budged from 6.3 to 6.0. Oh well...
5- Baptist Shelby is ok. He wants me to stay there- he is going to write a letter to my ob and send her my lab work as well. This should help out with their communication on what they expect of me. It helps me to feel a little bit more relaxed.
6- No. Stick with who I am comfortable with and he will work with her.
7- This is what he is mostly concerned with. He said that of all of his patients- controlled and not that he has never seen a complicated diabetic pregnancy, but that is not the case for thyroid problems. He wants to see me every couple weeks for thyroid labs.

So I left feeling good... Directions are to give him a call when I get that so desired and elusive BFP.

Will do!

(I think I can.... I think I can.... I think I can!)

3 comments:

  1. Been a little while since you posted, but so glad to see you are back :). Congrats on the great A1C. Good luck with TTC! I'm sure you will be posting some fantastic news in no time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6.0?!?! That's fantastic!!! I can't wait to have mine checked in September - it was 8.0 about 6 months ago :( I'm hoping it's gone down a fair amount since I've been checking my blood sugars a lot more frequently. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry so much about the number!! You're an ARNP you know that! :-) (I'm an ARNP too, so I feel like I can say that! ;-)

    My A1C was 6.1 right before pregnancy, then 5.8 in my first trimester and now I've had a 5.3 twice in a row. My Endo is FREAKED out by that number and wants to see it higher. (WTF?) I love that number but I know in my head that it's just an average and that I've had some spikes after meals and scary lows at night. So keep telling yourself, "Its just a number. It's just a number." Because, really all that matters is your overall control, complications, etc and it sounds like you're doing great!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete