Thursday, May 13, 2010

how low can you go?

Hello world!!! What's that you ask? Why am I awake at 2am on a school night?? Well.... since you ask....

My BG (blood glucose or sugar) is 42! Yikes I know!!

It's okay though... I'm working on getting it up... suspended the pump (Insulin pump... I have Medtronic Paradigm 522),;Coke and mini chocolate chip (horribleforyou) muffins at side! Trying despirately not to binge. Should have drank the milk like I started, but then I felt that twinge of oh-my-god-you-are-still-dropping-and-you-are-gonna-die!!

I've been awake for about 30 minutes lying in my bed. Thinking "CHECK YOUR SUGAR." So after carefully and quitely using my cell phone as a light, I finally found my meter, strips, and (after checking to see if I could just squeeze my finger and make blood appear) my lancet. All while despirately trying to not wake Adam (my awesome hubby) who has to wake up to go to work in about 3 hours.

I was already on high alert for this one though... I had such roller coaster day today.

Usually I use what is called a quickset for my insertion set or site. Night before last I had TWO go bad on me (one was kinked and the other was just in a bad place)!! Totally wrecking my BG and leaving me at 400 with ketones half of the night. The next morning I went in to work at the endo (diabetes) clinic where I help out teaching insulin pumps two days a week. I found something called a SURE T which is an infusion set that uses a real needle instead of a catheter. I poped it in with slight reservation and to my surprise... it felt fine. Problem solved... almost... since I've been wearing the sure t I've had better insulin absorbtion, running with a temp basal at 75% of my regular basal rate and still living with a BG in the 60's sipping on real coke.

So, when some friends ask me to meet them for Mexican and drinks I thought... sure... my blood sugar could use a little Mexican boost! haha... 9pm BG 257!! (Side note... one of my fav mex restaurant around pelham just started serving margaritas made with SPLENDA... love!!) But alas... I corrected my high and here I am... sitting on my couch in the dark, basking in the low of knowing that my pump site is working and the mexican food is now gone from my tummy along with the high that it caused.

Well... feeling better now... guess I'll head back to bed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie - I just found your blog off of SixUntilMe. I like this post because I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets that "OMG I;m gonna die" feeling with lows. I had a 36 the other night - hard not to panic! I am type 1 for 26 years and am now 31 so the pregnancy clock is ticking on me.... Been married for over 2 years so it is ticking for my hubby too. I haven't asked my endo for "permission" yet, but am trying to gear up the courage at my next 3 month appt in June - if my A1C comes back good! Thanks for your blog, I'm excited to keep reading and wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Molly! Thanks for the comments! Let me know how the endo visit goes! I was so nervous telling him, and I really like him. I just felt like he might judge me... although I'm not sure why. Hope to hear from you again... Lord knows I need some help along this journey! :o)

    ReplyDelete