Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Waiting

So....  I'm waiting... My husband and I are ready to try for kids, but before any of this can happen, we have to have the approval.

Not of one another. Not of our mothers (our fathers both tragically died the first year we were married). But of doctors.... and not just one doctor but lots of doctors... First my endo. I see him every three months (plus I work with him on occasion). We've been talking hypothetically about me getting pregnant for a while now, and he's been supportive and really willing to help me out. But, now that I've emailed him saying... "we're ready and what do we do?" I haven't heard from him. I'm kinda freaking out... I really really really need to hear from him that he thinks it is going to be okay. I need his advice. But I'm waiting...

After we hear from him I will need to meet with my OB GYN. Even though she will not be able to deliver the baby (because she is not a high risk OB) I will need her approval as well. She is great though, and I'm really sad she won't be able to be the one that helps me through the process.

Then there is my eye doctor... I see them next week.

And the dentist (who knew this was important before getting pregnant?!?)... I see them in July.

And then I will need to pick a high risk ob gyn who I will want to work with throughout the pregnancy. This is going to be important because I will have to see this person A LOT for the nine months and they will call a lot of the shots on how much I will be able to participate in my own care.

And then there are the issues of getting started on a CGM and getting a pump upgrade to the REVEL so that I can have a 300 unit cartridge to deal with the quadrupaling of my insulin requirements.

But until then... I am just waiting... waiting... waiting...

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! I too am preparing for pregnancy. Can I ask?- What is current A1C? What is your endo aiming for your A1C to be before pregnancy?
    I am on the medtronic pump and am using the CGM. It is so great and has been super helpful is seeing trends and avoiding lows or oncoming highs.
    Best of luck to you and can't wait to read all about your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay! So great to meet you! Do you have a blog too? I started this so that I could vent about diabetes issues so that I could spare my husband a little bit! haha And... also so I could find others like you that I can share this experience with! :o) My current A1c is 6.3, my doctor wants me under 6.5, but I'm really trying to get 6.0 or under. I don't have the CGM yet. I ordered and recieved the sensors, but I haven't gotten the minilink transmitter yet. :o( I wish I had CGM so bad! I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster trying to keep such tight control!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog after googling "Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy" :) My husband and I have met with a perinatologist and are hoping to try and get pregnant in January. My current A1c is too high (8.0) right now. I too feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, even with a pump. Since I'm a teacher, my goal for the summer is to really focus on getting my numbers under control. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete