Saturday, May 29, 2010

Time flies

Hello readers! Wow has time been going by so fast or what! Here we are Memorial Day weekend and the beginning of summer... Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

I've had a lot going on in my life as of late. I wore the ipro for a week, started routinely exercising (SO HARD FOR ME!!!), had a fabulous family friend come visit from out of town, and went to my doctor! :o) So... let me tell you about it all!

First off... I have to talk about the OB appt. It was categorized as a pregnancy consult, and I got a lot of whispered, "Are you already pregnant?" questions from the receptionists and nurses. I saw my regular OB/ GYN at Shelby, which is right beside our house. I ask her my myriad of questions and she was so comforting and helpful with all of her answers. She is a fairly young doctor, but I've seen her for the past 5 years, and I have really grown to trust her and am very comfortable. Needless to say, I was very nervous about having to give her up for the pregnancy and delivery parts of my life. We talked in depth about what she hopes to see in a pregnancy that involves pre-existing diabetes and hypothyroidism. She discussed wanting me to have an a1c < 6 to assure the best chances of not having cardiac complications, and she was very adamant about having my thyroid levels monitored very closely. She was very honest with me about not knowing a great deal about cgms, though she talked with me about what she knew about insulin pumps. She knows me and my background well, which I think made her a little more comfortable with just trusting me to know what is best for me in that sense. She talked with me about my Endo, and said that she knows him and has worked with him in the past. (Surprise to me, because I didn't know he could consult for people outside of UAB)

So as we talked I started to release my vice grip on UAB and open up to the option of keeping my beloved OBGYN and delivering at Shelby. Now... I've mentioned that I'm a nurse and my husband is a nurse. We work in the bigger hospitals... my husband at UAB and me at Children's, and let's just say... we're a little bit stuck up when it comes to thinking our hospitals are the best around. So... I ask my OB... point blank... "If anything goes wrong, will I be putting myself or my baby at risk by delivering at this hospital?" She was open with me... She said that the labor, deliver, and NICU at Shelby are very good (I know this, because I've worked with people who have worked in the NICU there, and known people who have delivered healthy babies there), but as far as I go... if I needed specialty care outside of the realm of obstetrics for some unforeseen reason I would request to go to UAB.

So... I've thought and thought about this and Adam and I have decided that for now we are going to stick with her... have her work closely with my endo, and go forward with things. However, at the first inkling of any complications we will go ahead to the high risk ob at UAB. I am very happy with this decision, though it isn't what I at first pictured.

In other news from the appointment... She said stop the BC after this next AF, go ahead and start taking a prenatal vitamin (I already was, and she said any OTC prenatal vitamin will do until I am 28 weeks), use backup BC after I'm off the pill until I see my endo at the end of July. If everything is good at that appointment, she wants me to fax her over all my labwork and results, and then we can start! So... we have a plan in place. Now if only I can get CGMS and the new Revel pump up and going by the end of July, we will start to officially try beginning in August. So excited! (And scared shitless... excuse the expression!)

In the non-pre-pregnancy side of my life, our very close family friends Jay and Jolene were recently in town for a few days and it was so fabulous to see them, although it is hard to not tell everyone I see about our plans! I just love being around friends and family and sharing in what will surely be our future memories.

BTW... My cousin had a healthy baby girl named Lillian on Thursday 7lbs. 14oz. Mom and baby are both at home now and doing well!

I hope all of you have a happy and safe holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! This is so very exciting. I can't wait until I get the okay from my endo. I'm hoping i'll get this is june.....my hubby and i would love to start trying in August or September....

    ReplyDelete